July 9, 2007

xB Updates

We are releasing xB Machine at DefCon, but I'm informed it will be a development release. The result is that instead of it also running as a LiveCD, it will only run as a VM right now. No big deal just yet.

I've finished xB VPN and it is up and running. I'm still thinking of adding some more configuration options to it. For example, perhaps when it is first run it will autoconnect. That seems like the smart thing to do.

I've also been kicking around an idea of a network problem diagnoser for xB Browser / xB Mail. For example, some of our clients say "I can't connect" etc. etc. So we get them to run the debug and send the logs to us. But they don't send the right logs, or they send the wrong files. And then we need to know if it is a bad key, or a blocked network, or something requiring a proxy, or if the user is accessing their account from somewhere else. And well, that is an issue. I think I'll write something like that for xBB 2.0.0.5.

xB Mail is about ready for the beta testers, but I need to make sure the tor network plays nice, since there are many who don't. Perhaps we should also add an interface to the mix master, which is an extremely high-latency anonymous remailer.

We finished testing the anonymity networks and products. I think the really outstanding ones, other than XeroBank, were COTSE (speed) and Anonymizer (Product). Anonymizer has a little bit further to go to make themselves bulletproof, but the use of DLL injection is something we should really evaluate. The stinkers... well there were quite a few.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The comparison of the various services should prove to be very interesting! Wish I could be at DefCon, but can't be, so I'll have to wait for the video or transcripts or whatever. Looks like you have a very promising product.

Steve Topletz said...

Mike,

You will be able to download the presentation I think. If I get a copy of it, I'll try to post it.